Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Words from the Marechale

The oldest daughter of Catherine and William Booth, Kate, began the work of The Salvation Army in France. The culture of France at the time was not only anti-religious it was aggressively against Christ. In 1881 TSA sent its first soldiers into France: Captain Kate Booth, 21 years old and her two Lieutenants. None of them spoke French.

They carried the first Army flag. "Carry it to the slums and alleys. Preach under it's shadow wherever there are lost and perishing souls. Charge the hosts of hell and see whether they will not turn and flee" were the words of challenge Catherine gave to the young women.

Within a week they were ridiculed, sworn at and pelted with stones and mud. Later she was put in gaol (jail). Kate and her lieutenants rented the only rooms they could afford in Paris. It was on the seventh floor of a tenement building in the slums of the Rue parmentier. It was occupied by prostitutes and rats. They lived on boiled potatoes and beans.

"When I went to France, I said to Jesus, 'I will suffer anything if you give me the keys.' If I am asked what the secret of our power in France, I will answer: 'First it is love; second, love; third, love.' And if you ask how to get it, I will answer first, by sacrifice; second, by sacrifice; third, by sacrifice.' Hours and hours we spend on our knees: you don't know the value of prayer until you are driven to bay."

As I read these words, I wonder if our efforts for the cause of Christ would compare? What would I give for the salvation of the lost?

No comments: