Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Opposition

The following words of Catherine Booth are recorded in Agressive Christianity.

"Opposition! It is a bad sign for the Christianity of this day that it provokes so little opposition. If there were no other evidence of it being wrong, I should know from that. When the Church and the world can jog along comfortably together, you may be sure there is something wrong. The world has not altered. Its spirit is the same as it ever was, and if Christians were equally faithful and devoted to the Lord, and seperated from the world, living so that their lives were a reproof to all ungodliness, the world would hate them as much as it ever did. It is the Church that has altered, not the world."

WOW!

She goes on to say, "'What a commotion!' you say. Yes; and, bless God, if we had the like now we should have thousands of sinners saved...We should always be in collision with the world."

I am a peace maker and that kind of thinking makes me uncomfortable and convicted. I think that living a holy life means that everyone will love me and be drawn to the Christ I serve. Yes, I know the "world" hated Jesus so it will hate me. So I guess I'd better gear up to be in the "world's" face. Loving the sinners and hating the sin is such a hard balance.

No comments: