Monday, November 06, 2006

If You Want It, It's Yours

It’s Yours!

In your heart of hearts are you a trifle weary,

Is there part of you your better self deplores?

Do you want the power to be a better person?

If you want it--it's yours!

Chorus

If you want it--it's yours!

If you want it--it's yours!

Do you want the power to be a better person?

If you want it--it's yours!

Is your mind mixed up and are your thoughts in turmoil?

Are you tired of fighting, are you sick of wars?

Would you like some peace instead of inner conflict?

If you want it--it's yours!

Are you somewhat sad and wish that you were happy?

Real contentment has a special set of laws;

Joy is not for sale, it's only found in Jesus;

If you want it--it's yours!

Words: John Gowans

Music John Larsson

Just recently we were at officers’ councils and General John Gowans was the speaker. He told us that he felt this song did not belong in the song book of The Salvation Army. It is not that he does not like the song. He feels it was great for the musical because of the context of the musical. He explained that as he wrote the words his mind went back to his youth when he went to carnivals and county fairs. The patter of the sales people would go something like this: “I have something really valuable to sell you. It is worth (fill in the blank), but for half it’s value I will sell it to you today. If you want it, (the salesperson would tap it or rattle it twice) it’s yours.” John Gowans saw the words of this song being presented by a super salesperson sharing the most valuable gif of all.

Guess what? That makes me love the song even more! The words are so profound. They describe the state many of us find ourselves. How many of us have felt sick and tired of being sick and tired? How many have felt the way verses one and two describe a person? I wonder how many of us have sung these words or even enjoyed the experience of being a part of the musical for which the song was written. How many wish this was more than a set of words or a song from an upbeat musical.

Look again at these words from verse three the song, “Real contentment has a special set of laws, Joy is not for sale, it’s only found in Jesus. If you want it, it’s yours.” Paul wrote these inspired words in the book of Philippians (4:11-14) “I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.” (NLT)

Contentment, joy, peace and power have a “certain set of laws.” The first law, the first step is to receive Jesus Christ as Saviour. Only Jesus can cancel the debt of sin and set us free from its bondage. This relationship with Jesus is more than a fire insurance policy. It is a life insurance policy or maybe better said an abundant life assurance policy.

Can it be as simple as asking for it? “If you want it, it’s yours.” If it is that simple why aren’t more Christians experiencing the joy, peace, power and contentment promised? “I have the secret of contentment in every situation…I can do everything God asks me to do with the help of Jesus, who gives me the strength and power I need.”

The secret of contentment is not a lobotomy that leaves us without an awareness of reality. The secret is submission to the will of God and complete trust in Him regardless of the circumstances of reality. Or to put it in the words from another song, trust and obey. We have to trust Jesus our Saviour to also be Jesus our Lord, the Ruler of our lives. Then we have access to that power that enables us to face the realities of our lives.

Sounds good in theory, but what about when things really go crazy in my life. As a Salvation Army officer and soldier, I must contend with changes and turmoil caused by moves, Christmas, and the people in my life. Not much different than most people since we all have challenges and changes thrown into our lives that could rob us of contentment, joy, and peace. Is it so simple as trusting the One who is making the offer. Through His Holy Spirit, Jesus whispers and shouts, “if you want it, it’s yours. I paid the price.”

So when the challenges and changes come, help us remember to look to Jesus for contentment, joy and peace. Tap into the power and abundance of all Jesus offers. “If you want it, it’s yours.”

Debora Bell, Lt. Colonel

The Salvation Army

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an employee and 6th generation solider, I LOVE the music of Gowens and Larsson...grew up on it. Did all the musicals..but until I read your blog, never really thought about the words to this 'cute' song. Again the Lord has given me just what I needed just when I needed it...in you and your words. Thank you.

Droeh said...

Wouldn't it be cool if somebody had good recordings of some of the G&L musical songs and uploaded them to SAYTUNES! I love musicals - and I love the G&L ones. I'll never forget Kansas City and the Blood of the Lamb - or when our corps did TakeOver Bid.

Martha Sheppard